DON’T LET YOUR QUESTIONS
KEEP YOU FROM GETTING
THE INSURANCE YOU NEED.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What’s a health care Navigator?
A: Community Health Centers (CHCs) that receive federal funding staff a state Navigator as a free resource to you. The Individuals can help you through the entire process of enrollment and beyond, relieving the stress and confusion of the enrollment process. Find a CHC here or search directly for a Navigator here.
Q: How Does Health Insurance work?
Q: What is the Affordable Care Act and Obamacare?
A: You’ve probably heard of Obamacare. Obamacare is a name used for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). The ACA is a health care law that improves health care and health coverage and adds new benefits and protections. The ACA makes health coverage mandatory for most Americans.
What does the ACA do?
A: The Affordable Care Act…
- Makes health coverage available regardless of health status, illness, or pre-existing conditions
- Provides access to free preventive services like vaccines, well visits, and screenings
- Establishes an online Marketplace called HealthCare.gov for purchasing health coverage
- Makes health coverage more affordable for Hoosiers with Cost Sharing Reductions and Premium Tax Credits
- Sets a specific time during the year for health coverage enrollment called an Open Enrollment Period (November 1 – December 15, 2017)
- Allows young adults to stay on a parent’s plan until age 26
- Mandates coverage of 10 essential health benefits
- Expands Medicaid (also called Indiana Health Coverage Programs) for Hoosiers up to 138% of the federal poverty level
Q: What is the Health Care Insurance Marketplace?
A: The Marketplace, at HealthCare.gov is a “one-stop shop” to find and compare affordable, quality, private health coverage options. You may be eligible for a tax credit that lowers your monthly cost for health coverage. Learn more
Q: What are the things my Health Insurance Plan must cover?
A: Free preventive care, prescription coverage, mental health services, emergency services & hospitalizations, maternity care, and infant & children’s care
Q: When is Open Enrollment for the MarketPlace?
A: Open Enrollment is November 1 – December 15, 2017, but you might be eligible for a special enrollment period.
Q: What is Medicaid?
A: Indiana Medicaid is a public health coverage program which provides free or low-cost health coverage to low-income children and adults, former foster children, and individuals who are blind, disabled, or aged.
Q: What kinds of health coverage options are there under Indiana Medicaid?
A: There are many health coverage options under Indiana Medicaid:
- Hoosier Heathwise
- Hoosier Care connect
- M.E.D. Works
- Healthy Indiana Plan
- Traditional Medicaid
- Medicaid Pharmacy Benefits
- Presumptive Eligibility (PE)
- Presumptive Eligibility for Pregnant Women (PEPW)
- Family Planning Eligibility Program
- Home and Community-Based Programs
Q: What’s the Open Enrollment period for Medicaid?
A: Enrollment is always open for Medicaid. You can apply anytime.
Q: What if I don’t have insurance?
Q: Everything looks so expensive. Is there assistance available?
A: Financial assistance is available. In Indiana, 88.5% of Hoosiers receive a tax credit to help pay for health insurance. An Indiana Navigator can help you find out what you qualify for.
Q: What should I bring to my appointment with a Navigator?
A: You will need the following for your appointment:
- Social Security Number for all those applying
- Birth date for all those applying
- Proof of income (pay stubs or W-2 forms work great)
- Information about your employer (address and phone number)
- Policy numbers for any current health coverage
- Know your email address and password if you have one